City offices will open at 11 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 5.
Trash & recycling for Friday pick-up day should run as normal, depending on road conditions. We expect to pick up trash for Thursday’s pick-up day on Saturday. Citizens are asked to be patient as we try to get caught up.
Please call 341-7875 with questions regarding trash pick-up.
Because of icy road conditions, the city is still advising residents to stay off the roads if at all possible. Additional updates will be posted here and on social media as needed.
For updates, citizens can check:
- Web: http://www.wilmingtonnc.gov
- Facebook: @cityofwilmington
- Twitter: @cityofwilm
- GTV: Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) Channel 8
The special and regular Planning Commission meetings originally scheduled for Jan. 3 were cancelled. A revised date for both meetings will be announced in the coming days.
Some important weather safety tips from the Wilmington Fire Department:
- Prepare now. Get flashlights and extra batteries. Get supplies ready and heed warnings about icy conditions. Don’t go out unless absolutely necessary.
- Rearrange furniture and decorations to give space heaters space. Keep anything that can burn, including people and pets, at least 3 feet from the heat source. UNPLUG space heaters when going to bed or not in use. Unplugging space heaters reduces the risk of fire from that heat source completely.
- If using fuel burning heaters or fire place, use a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm to warn of high CO levels and make sure the room is sufficiently ventilated. CO is a silent killer that cannot be smelled or seen. The symptoms of CO poisoning can include drowsiness and flu-like symptoms. If using heating oil, wood, kerosene or natural gas, be especially cautious of CO poisoning as burning fossil fuels creates carbon monoxide. High levels of CO can be fatal.
- Never use an oven or a grill for an interior heat source. Working smoke alarms save lives. DO NOT IGNORE a sounding alarm. Get out and call 9-1-1 from outside the house.
- If the power goes out, use flashlights NOT candles to light your way.
- Be aware of what is on your stove top or in your oven if the power shuts off. Be sure to turn power knobs to off if the power goes out to avoid a fire when electricity is restored.
The Wilmington Fire Department urges citizens to think safety and prepare for potentially dangerous conditions. Heed warnings and keep news and radio tuned to local media for updated information.