The annual 4th of July Fireworks and Celebration will take place on Tuesday, July 4 on the downtown riverfront. Fireworks will be launched from a barge in the Cape Fear River just north of the Battleship.
Food vendors and music by Port City Shakedown will start at 6 p.m. on Water Street. The fireworks show begins at 9:05 p.m.
Vehicles should park on the side of downtown (with Red Cross Street being the dividing line) that is closest to the direction they will travel after the fireworks have ended. See map at right (click to enlarge), which is also posted on our website at wilmingtonnc.gov/july4th. Note that vehicles parking in the Cape Fear Community College parking deck on the corner of Red Cross and Front Street will be forced to exit to the south.
Those leaving immediately after the fireworks should expect a one to two hour delay when leaving the downtown area.
Leave the pets at home. Reminder to residents and visitors that pets are not allowed downtown during special events where large crowds are present and streets are closed.
On-street parking is free all day on July 4.
Parking decks will charge an event fee after 2 p.m.
- CFCC parking decks: $10
- Market Street deck: $7
- 2nd Street deck: $7
- NHC deck beside downtown library: $7
- Convention Center parking deck: $8
- N. Water Street, between Market and Grace streets, will close at 1:30 p.m.
- Princess Street between N. Water and N. Front streets will close at 1:30 p.m.
- Market Street between N. Water and N. Front streets will close at 1:30 p.m.
- Chestnut Street, between N. Front and N. 3rd streets, will close as early as 5 p.m.
- Streets west of 2nd Street toward the river will close as early as 6 p.m. (Once parking is no longer available, streets will close.)
- US 421 North exit off 74/76 will close as early as 6 p.m. NO STANDING, STOPPING or PARKING on bridges, roadways or along medians on Highways 17, 74/76, 133 or 421.
There will be a boating safety zone for 30 minutes after the fireworks around the launch site. No thru boating traffic will be allowed.